Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy Treatment
Perth Shoulder Physio are the experts in shoulder tendinopathy treatment in Perth or more specifically rotator cuff tendinopathy treatment in Perth. We are the only clinic in Perth to focus specifically on shoulder pain and we consider shoulder tendinopathy treatment to be the cornerstone of our practice. Effective rotator cuff treatment may prevent long term damage like rotator cuff tears.
General physiotherapists are seldom required to treat shoulders so they often find shoulder tendinopathy treatment challenging. Perth Shoulder Physio specialises in shoulder pain so don’t delay in booking an appointment for your expert rotator cuff treatment now.
Note: This page contains general information on rotator cuff tendinopathy treatment in Perth. More specific advice and management can be provided in person at Perth Shoulder Physio.
Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy Treatment or Rotator Cuff Tendonitis Treatment?
Rotator cuff tendinopathy is the currently accepted term for a painful or dysfunctional rotator cuff tendon. The term rotator cuff tendonitis treatment is still commonly used however ‘itis’ infers inflammation, which is not always present in rotator cuff tendon pathology. For the purpose of this page, we will discuss rotator cuff tendinopathy treatment rather than rotator cuff tendonitis treatment.
To understand rotator cuff tendinopathy, you must first understand the anatomy and function of the rotator cuff muscles and tendons. Click here to read about the rotator cuff muscles on our rotator cuff tear page.
There are three stages of rotator cuff tendinopathy:
- Reactive Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy: acutely swollen (think inflamed) and often painful tendon
- Rotator Cuff Tendon Dysrepair: Failed healing of a reactive rotator cuff tendinopathy
- Degenerative Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy: Chronically degenerative rotator cuff tendon that may extend into a rotator cuff tear
Symptoms of Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy
The symptoms and treatment of rotator cuff tendinopathy are dictated by the stage of tendinopathy.
Reactive Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy Symptoms:
- Shoulder pain and weakness when raising the arm over head
- Increased shoulder pain and weakness with resisted movements
- There is commonly pain when lying on the affected shoulder at night
- Note that these symptoms are almost identical to a rotator cuff tear
Rotator Cuff Tendon Dysrepair and Degenerative Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy symptoms:
- Symptoms are similar to a reactive tendinopathy but are usually less severe and completely ease when the arm is at rest.
Causes of Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy
Causes of a Reactive Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy
A reactive rotator cuff tendinopathy can develop when the shoulder is subjected to an unaccustomed load. It is important to note that the load must be greater than the tolerance of the individual’s rotator cuff tendon. The load that the tendon can tolerate will be very different for an overhead athlete versus a sedentary middle-aged person. For example, a reactive rotator cuff tendinopathy may develop if an athlete increases their training sessions dramatically or if a sedentary person simply performs more housework than usual or starts throwing the ball to their dog.
Causes of Rotator Cuff Tendon Dyrepair
Rotator cuff tendon disrepair may develop if there is incorrect rotator cuff tendinopathy management.
Causes of Degenerative Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy
Incorrect shoulder tendinopathy treatment may eventually progress into a degenerative rotator cuff tendinopathy. It is also common for tendon to degenerate if it’s insufficiently loaded over an extended period of time.
Rotator Cuff Treatment Perth
This section includes general advice on shoulder tendinopathy treatment in Perth that may benefit you. Four rotator cuff tendons and three stages of tendinopathy make it impossible to provide generic rotator cuff tendinopathy treatment that will benefit everyone. Fortunately, Perth Shoulder Physio can assess your shoulder injury and implement the plan that’s correct for your individual circumstances.
Physiotherapy Treatment for Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy
Reactive Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy Treatment:
- Rest from activities that cause shoulder pain
- Massage, dry needling and other manual therapy to ease pain and muscle tension
- Specific rotator cuff strengthening exercises to ease pain and maintain muscle strength
Tendon Dysrepair and Degenerative Rotator Cuff Treatment:
- Specific and progressive rotator cuff strengthening exercises
Medical Management of Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy:
- Anti inflammatory medication for reactive rotator cuff tendinopathy
- Cortisone injection for reactive rotator cuff tendinopathy if required
- Blood injections for degenerative tendinopathy if required
Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy Exercises
All stages of rotator cuff tendinopathy require specific rotator cuff strengthening exercises of varying intensity. Read more about rotator cuff strengthening exercises for tendinopathy here.